Local Area Links
Lapham Peak Park – Kettle Moraine State Forest
Lake Country Caring – “Where Love and Need Touch”
Lake Country Night Out – Restaurants, Music, Entertainment
Seniors Helping Seniors – Waukesha
Hartland is a village in Waukesha County, Wisconsin, along the Bark River (Rock), and is a suburb of Milwaukee. The population was 9,110 at the 2010 census with 3,566 households, and 2,440 families residing in the village.
A natural spring provided an ideal camping spot for the Potawatomi Indians in the early 1800’s. Near this camping spot, a small “growing place” developed and was named Shabaquanake by the Indians. Shabaquanake was situated on today’s Merton and Delafield town line. Many years later, that area came to be known as the Town of Warren, after Stephen Warren, Hartland’s first settler. Stephen came to this area in 1838 to file claim to the land between what is now bordered by East Capitol Drive to the north, Cottonwood Avenue to the west and Maple Avenue to the east.
A Town Begins To Germinate
In 1848, Stephen Warren sold part of his land to Christian Hershey who constructed a four and one half story grist mill that used water power from the Bark River and the mill race and dam that was constructed under East Capitol Drive. By this time, the Watertown Plank Road was completed through Hartland and was used by farmers as a “highway” for bringing their grains and hops to the Milwaukee breweries. To provide a place for rest and refreshment for its travelers, many hotels or “taverns” were built along the way. The Burr Oak Tavern still stands on the SE corner of Maple Avenue and East Capitol Drive.